The primary principles of LHSN Schools are:
- Mentorship between students and adults: LHSN schools promote student collaboration with community members and industry professionals to promote responsibility
- Student Voice: Students are involved in decision making at the schools
- Relevancy: We create thrilling learning opportunities that are relevant, engaging, and adaptable to individual students with unique needs.
- Transition: This is a focus the day students begin school. We work to ensure students are prepared and supported through all transitions, academic or otherwise. Students participate in many transition activities primarily through Advisory
- Support and Preparation: School culture values the buddy system, group work, gateway/exhibition support, and mentorship
- Heterogeneous grouping: LHSN schools are equitable in grouping students by age, grade, gender, ability, language, etc. to ensure all students are fully supported by peers and staff
- Student growth, physical fitness, nutrition and health: Students learn to deal with their responsibilities, identify pressures and access support, reach their maximum potential, meet high expectations, learn from breakdowns, celebrate successes, and be healthy physically, intellectually, and emotionally
- Advocacy: Students learn to advocate by the student, with the student, and for the student.