Welcome to the Leadership Schools Network.
The Leadership Schools Network is demonstrating through local evidence that another way of teaching and learning is possible.
The mission of the Leadership Schools Network is to improve educational outcomes for marginalized students by sustaining innovative, student centered, community responsive schools aligned to dynamic industries in New Mexico. Our network schools focus on the overall well being of our community’s young people while also ensuring student success through the development of career-related skills that prepare them for futures in high-wage industries in our state.
The collective vision of the Leadership Schools Network is to transform lives and communities through innovative education.
The Leadership Schools Network sees all students as assets, and works to develop every individual student to their full potential. There are hundreds of students in our state who are currently underserved or not served by the traditional public school system. LSN seeks to bridge this gap and provide underserved students with an excellent education that is relevant, rigorous, engaging, and most importantly, prepares them for their future. The LSN is designed to serve roughly 2,000 students per year, graduating roughly 500 students per year when the schools are fully developed. We estimate that 33 percent, or 165 of these graduates, would be “Opportunity Youth” (youth who otherwise would not be working or going to school).
The three fundamental pillars of the Leadership Schools Network are:
Learning By Doing
360˚ Student Support
Learning By Doing
Our students use problem-solving and innovation to address real-world problems.
We believe that engaging project-based learning (learning by doing) is the pathway to student success. Unlike the traditional education model, which focuses on the delivery of information, we are committed to ensuring student mastery of academic and lifelong learning skills. LSN schools focus on promoting deep thinking and problem solving skills, and developing nuanced understandings through project-based learning. Learning by doing keeps LSN schools on the cutting edge of education; our curriculum is adaptable, relevant, and always student-focused.
360˚ Student Support
We believe that high expectations require high levels of student support.
LSN schools focus on supporting the whole student. Each LSN school’s culture is designed to support the mental and physical health, fitness, and nutrition of their students. Our 360-degree support model is a priority of our educational program and is accomplished through the following support services in each school: the Student Support Team, Achievement Coach, Special Education Services, English Language Learner Services, and the Advisory Program. Through student services and community partnerships we support our students and families.
Our Student Supports are guided by these underlying philosophies:
- Positive Youth Development
- Support from graduation through transitioning to adulthood
- High expectations require high levels of support (social/emotional/academic/health)
Each LSN school has a Community Engagement Center (CEC) that supports the school’s mission by initiating, building, and maintaining community partnerships. The focus of the CEC work is to engage a wide community to help support the schools and their students and ultimately, make our communities more connected, integrated and better places to live. Our Community Engagement Centers leverage partnerships that are attentive to community and school needs, and our strategy is rooted in preparing young people for a prosperous future in the high-wage sectors.
LSN schools develop relationships with community members and partners who help support school missions by sharing expertise and resources to support teachers and the school curriculum, while deepening the learning experience for students. Student involvement in the community allows our students to participate in authentic experiences, to build their reputation and develop the skills and character necessary to become successful leaders in their communities and in their future professions.
The underlying intent of Community Engagement is to shift from speaking about what others should do, to speaking about what we, as a community, can create.
- The LSN is a network of free and public high schools
- LSN schools engage students in hands-on, real-world ways that help to develop students’ skills as active problem solvers
- Industry leaders and high-wage employers are our partners and collaborators; projects and performance assessments are guided by what graduates need to demonstrate to be successful in New Mexico industries
- We create small school environments – students who felt lost in larger school systems have flourished in our schools
- We are dedicated to learning by doing, every day in every class
- We ensure that our schools and students have access to meaningful internships, career exploration opportunities, and dual enrollment in college programs
- We are committed to providing underserved students with an excellent education that is relevant, rigorous, engaging, and most importantly, prepares them for their future
- We are committed to developing partnerships within our community that build better futures for our families, youth, and economy
- We are committed to the larger education reform movement and national benchmarking of our work
- We are committed to implementing Positive Youth Development and Project Based Learning to support student growth
- We are committed to accomplishing our work through partnership
- We are accountable to those we serve
- Our work is asset based; we see students as assets to be nurtured rather than problems to be solved
- We focus on the future of New Mexico industries, and provide students skills they need to succeed in high-wage jobs
- We support all youth intellectually, socially and emotionally
- Our work is holistic and developmentally appropriate
- Our approach is to deliver relevant learning experiences for students
- Our strategies are informed by youth for youth
- Our work requires broad and diverse stakeholder input and support
- We engage with the community both professionally and personally